Mind

It seems to me that my mind has texture, like the air I breathe has texture. With texture comes a certain solidity, something tangible, something that may be perceived or experienced, and shaped. From encounters with Reality, I'm left with impressions.

Tuesday 29 December 2009

Water fasting experiment, day 3

Some things I've noticed during the water fast so far:
  1. Time is different. I can sit for an hour watching the birds eat from the bird feeders in the garden.

  2. I'm finding it hard to keep my hands and feet warm. This might be related to the next point.

  3. I'm drinking more water than I thought I would, around 1.5 litres every 3rd hour for the 14-16 hours of the day that I am awake, i.e. between 7 and 8 litres a day. I think this is a bit too much so I will try to decrease it to the 4 litres a day that I had planned. I don't want to poison myself with too much water.

    How much should I drink?

    The British Dietetic Association recommends between 1.5 and 2.5 litres a day (6 to 8 glasses). Elsewhere, it is recommended to drink as many litres as your weight in kilograms divided by 30 (2.7 litres if I'm 80 kg), or as many US fluid ounces as half your weight in pounds (88 fl oz if I'm 176 lbs).

    Looking for the above information provided me with lots of interesting reading, and as soon as I've finished my fasting I'll try to be a bit more observant with the amount of water I'm drinking (I think I'm usually not drinking enough).

  4. When craving food, I sometimes get a phantom sensation of tastes in my mouth, like that of bread or peanuts.

  5. My mouth tastes horrid in the evenings. It probably doesn't smell too good either.

  6. I definitely use food as a source of comfort. It's so easy to pick up an apple or a sandwich even though I'm not really hungry. Another thing to keep in mind once the fast is over...
Apart from all that, I'm sleeping fine and although I'm very slow to get up in the morning I feel fine once I've meditated. I have revised my times a bit and I now do my meditation at 7 am, which means that the dawn is well underway when I get up from my seat, which is nice. I haven't taken the walks I said I would, but I'm ok with that.

Be well.

No comments: